Everything Begins with the Next Thing
Everything you do should be done in love. 1 Cor. 16:14 (NET)
Everything may seem too hard to grasp, but the next thing isn’t. We may be intimidated by Paul’s instruction in 1 Cor. 16:14, or dismiss it as ridiculous that we should do EVERYTHING in love. But there is nothing stopping you from doing the next thing in love.
You’re fully equipped and empowered to act in love. You have eyes to see clearly and ears to hear objectively. You have a mind to think creatively and a heart to act courageously. You’ve been given the Spirit of Christ to serve selflessly. You have everything you need to accomplish anything in love.
But everything begins with the next thing. Will you do the next thing in love?
This week, try to do everything in love by focusing on doing the next thing in love.
What are you doing next? Who will you talk with next? What’s the next situation you will be in? Consciously decide to do the next thing, treat the next person or approach the next situation in a loving way.
Ask yourself questions like:
- How can I do this in a way that benefits someone else?
- In this conversation, am I assuming the best of the other person?
- Am I doing this activity in a way that protects the best interests of others?
- Are my eyes communicating love?
- Is my face beaming love?
- Am I interested in the person right in front of me – their stories, troubles, hopes and fears?